Sunday, June 28, 2009

Diamond in the Rough



Quite some time ago, a friend and I were emailing back and forth during the work day and I remember, plain as day, telling him how I’m not exactly a “small town girl” even though I grew up in a small town, and moved back to work in small towns in Arizona. I remember him emailing me back immediately and saying “Just remember, you’ll always be a small town girl at heart, and that’s special, don’t forget that, it’s part of who you are.” I had to smile, because he’s a small town guy, too, and just because, he understood.

That being said, small towns often get a bad rep for being ill-equipped in the shopping department. I have to say, when I started teaching in Globe, Arizona, I was not thrilled at the fact that my students referred to Walmart as the Globe Mall. It made me shudder in agony, actually. As a self-proclaimed world class shopper, this is one of my joys in life, after all. However, if you really get to know your surroundings, sometimes there is a diamond in the rough, even in the smallest of towns.

The last week of school, I made 3 of my seniors, all of them my teaching assistants, venture into a small boutique in downtown Globe, Arizona with me. It had intrigued me since I first saw it from the coffee shop one day, but I had never actually gone inside. Once I did, I’ll admit, I was impressed.

The selection was impeccable: every type of setting you can imagine, custom made jewelry, accessories, and imported stones; the displays were clean, immaculate, glowing. There were various price points so that even the most frugal consumer can afford to take something home with them. I fell in love with a beautiful ring that had a canary yellow diamond in the center surrounded by tiny diamonds. It was very bling-esque and very LC. I admit to lusting after pretty silver necklaces that had your initial in the center and were very reminiscent of a collection from Tiffany’s.

The owners are very cordial and polite; they are helpful and willing to go the extra mile for their clientele. They were helping a veteran when I first entered the store and treated him with so much respect and consideration that I was blown away by their friendly demeanor and the happy environment of the store. While the store itself somehow smells like Scottsdale Fashion Square (which I was quick to point out to the owner) (and that is, by the way, a smell I would love to bottle and throw around my own home, if I could, but it is impossible) it is nestled right in the heart of downtown Globe, a stone’s throw away from the local museum (one of them) and banks, restaurants, and government buildings.

If you’re passing through, on your way up to the White Mountains (Pinetop is a popular destination for Valley residents this time of year) it’s worth a stop, and definitely worth spending in this great jewelry store.

Just like my friend said, I’ll always be a small town girl at heart, and just like me, Jewels by Jess is a priceless gem waiting to be discovered. ;) Happy shopping, dolls.

Take US 60 East, to Cedar Street. Go up one block, until you reach the railroad track. Hang a right, and you will see a peach colored building, home of “Jewels by Jess.” And while you’re there, cross the street and eat at Joe’s Broad Street Grill Restaurant, the food is VERY reasonably priced and delicious (hint: for all you skinny chicks or wannabe skinny chicks out there, try Joe’s Greek Salad with grilled chicken and ask for the dressing on the side. It is healthy and absolutely to die for.) (For all the rest of you, anything on the menu is delish.)

No comments:

Post a Comment