Sunday, June 28, 2009

If You Seek Amy


One of my favorite movies is Pretty Woman, and most people who know me well enough know this, because I watch it at least once or twice a month, and I’ve done this ever since I was a little girl. How could you not love Vivian, the leading character? I don’t know a single person who didn’t feel a little sympathy for her when she attempts to shop on Rodeo Drive, only to be ignored and even shunned by the sales girls in one of the ritzy boutiques she steps into.

I am all about first impressions, so when I go out shopping, I always select a cute ensemble to wear. My hair is always done, my makeup is impeccable and my jewelry is always on. I wear tasteful sunglasses as I go from boutique to boutique and carry a designer bag on my shoulder. My shoes always complete the look.

My girlfriends say I look like Mexican Barbie. :)

I could somehow rationalize being ignored or neglected if I stepped into a boutique dressed like Julia Roberts was in Pretty Woman, but I am not a prostitute, nor have I ever dressed like one. (And even in that scenario, it’s still rude to treat someone that way, regardless of their attire.) But when I walked into Amy, Inc. in Scottsdale last week, I couldn’t help but walk out feeling a little like Vivian as she walked down Rodeo Drive, completely crestfallen.

The boutique is located on Stetson Drive in Scottsdale, at the Mix Shops, along the Scottsdale Waterfront. It is rather small, but carries a cute selection of various labels, including one of my new favorites, Elizabeth and James. While I was there, I wanted to purchase a cute pair of Havaianas flip flops that were bedecked in studs, which gave them an edgy vibe. For all you Hills fans, Audrina was wearing these in last week’s issue of Life and Style Magazine. I ended up leaving the store without a shopping bag in hand because while I was in there, neither one of the sales girls acknowledged me, greeted me, and neither of them asked if I needed any help. They completely ignored me, as though I was a phantom shopper. In addition, one of the girls was on the phone making plans with someone for that evening. In this tough economy, I’m just as selective as the next girl about where I spend my money. And the bottom line is, I won’t spend my money somewhere where the customer service isn’t top notch, no matter how adorable the boutique is or who shops there.

Someday I plan to walk back into the boutique after having spent plenty of cash at Moody Blues or Estilo, where I’m always treated like shopping royalty, and just like Vivian did in the movie, I’ll pop in and say, “Remember me? From the other day? You wouldn’t wait on me? You work on commission, right? Big mistake. Big. HUGE.”

This pretty woman can boost the economy somewhere where she’s treated right. If you seek Amy, I hope you get the service and attention you deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment