Saturday, July 11, 2009

Flannel Fab







People always bitch & moan because they say they can't afford the same looks they see in magazines, on celebs on TV, and on the red carpet. In case you're a fashion novice, let me fill you in: the entire fashion industry stays afloat because designers copy couture looks, replicate them, and make them accessible to the general public by selling similar looks at more affordable stores and boutiques.

I love Mary Kate Olsen, I know, everyone makes fun of her (on occassion I find myself asking my friends "are you pulling a Mary Kate?" when they don't order food at brunch) but still, I love her style (because if you're going to dress like a homeless lady with Christian Louboutins on at the same time, you've got guts, girl.) So, of course I love the Olsen's line, Elizabeth and James, and even love the sort of grungy, flannel shirts that I actually used to wear back in 7th grade. Something about this look reminds me of Seattle, Nirvana, cans of Sprite from the vending machine, and my bottle of hairspray in my junior high locker. However, had I asked my mother, in 7th grade, for a flannel top from Elizabeth & James that cost $252, (www.shopmoodyblues.com, for stores, or to purchase online) she would have laughed in my face, shook her head, and said that money doesn't grow on trees.

Fast forward some 14 years later, and I still know money doesn't grow on trees. That being said, while you can buy the super cute top at Moody Blues (one of my faves!) for $252, you can achieve a similar look by buying one of Express' (www.expressfashion.com) flannel tops for $39.95, pair it with a cute pair of cutoff shorts, some gladiator sandals, & you'll be adorable and very reminiscent of my junior high years. Or, you'll look like an Olsen twin.

But please ladies, for the love of God, comb your hair. Mary Kate is the only one who can pull off the "I slept under a bridge" look.

No comments:

Post a Comment