Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Creme de la Creme of Hairdressers


So, I started the blog Dreaming in Dior because I wanted to write about fashion, shopping, celebrities, beauty products, stores, services, restaurants, and all the best places to shop or get pampered.

Initially, I started my blog because I was mistreated at a local salon, Dolce Salon and Spa, at the front desk. The girls who were working there were totally hateful every time I’d go in the salon. They once lost my cashmere cardigan that I had bought at Bloomingdales, and didn’t even apologize. In fact, they looked almost happy that they had misplaced it.

And although I was getting exceptional service and quality hair cuts and color from their stylists, the fact that anybody could be so hateful and abrasive to clients in a customer service oriented business baffled me. Especially in these troubled economic times, superior customer service is not only a standard, it’s a necessity.

I used to get my hair done in my early twenties (which, yes, my friends, I am now in my late twenties) by a male hairdresser named Lethan. I absolutely loved every time he’d do my hair. My aunt would tell me my hair looked like “soap opera” hair, because I looked like a woman from the soaps.

Time passed, and I’ll admit, in my early twenties, monogamy was not something I was known for. I was NOT the girl to date if you wanted a serious relationship, because I probably would’ve gotten bored with you and sabotaged the relationship intentionally (or maybe not so intentionally.) I was not the girl who stayed with one boyfriend for months, or years. I wanted to be free, and that included my choices with just about everything: even my hairdressers.

I was not faithful to one hairdresser. I tried them all. I probably have visited every notable salon in the Phoenix metropolitan area; I even had my hair done by a fantastic hairdresser in Globe, a man who used to work for Dolce, in fact. Still, I was not committed to one stylist.

"You're like, a salon whore," April told me one day. For some reason, this pulled at my heartstrings. It was time to settle my ass down. No more salon hopping for me.

In a few days, I will turn 28 years old. I realize this is still relatively young; but I also know that in the past few years, I have changed. I’m no longer like the girl I was in my early twenties. Now that I know what works for me, I’m willing to be more devoted to products, stores, brands of jeans, but most importantly…hairdressers.

In July, I ran into Lethan again at his salon, Toni and Guy in Gilbert, Arizona, at San Tan Village. I was there with April for her hair appointment, and he asked if I’d be his hair model. When this guy offers to do your hair, you don’t say no. He’s just that good.

I was his hair model, and after that, I continued to visit him, faithfully, every six weeks. And every time, my hair looked amazing. Every minute of your hair appointment is blissful, beginning with the shampoo bowl (when he shampoos and conditions my hair, I seriously think my eyes roll back in my head.) (And for the record, that doesn’t happen very often to me. Which doesn’t say a whole lot for the guys I’ve dated.) He already knows what to do with my hair before I even say a word. He listens, and is conscientious, and he makes an effort to be personable and congenial with everyone who walks through the door, and especially with his own clients.

“HE looks like HE could be on a soap opera, he’s so damn cute,” my adorable Aunt told me one day.

And while he is, in fact, easy on the eyes, he’s also a class act. He’s funny, considerate, and treats his staff well, and as a beauty connoisseur, I must say, that quality is a hallmark of any successful store or salon. Just like you can tell a lot about a guy based on how he treats his mom or his sisters, you can tell a lot about a salon based on how the person in charge treats their employees.

“You have a blog?” he asked me. “Why haven’t you written about ME?” he joked the last time I was in the salon.

I guess I hadn’t really thought about it, which is ironic, since I started my blog with the intention of highlight ONLY the crème de la crème, and since I have not only discriminating taste but impeccable taste…I can guarantee you that Lethan really is the crème de la crème.

From the haircut you will receive, to the customer service, you’ll be impressed, time and time again.

And if you’re like the flaky, inconsistent girl I was in my early twenties, you might just become monogamous with one hairdresser from here on out.

You might not be committed to your boyfriends, but after your first appointment with Lethan, you’ll be faithful to your hairdresser.

P.S.--Adam Sandler in The Zohan (see photo above) is not nearly as cute as my hairdresser. See for yourself, make an appointment today. Tell them Lorraine sent you.

To make an appointment today, call (480) 812-1955. Toni & Guy is located at San Tan Village in Gilbert, right across from Forever 21. The staff is incredible, and the salon is full of energy. You can thank me later. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment