Sunday, September 6, 2009

Did I Shave My Legs for This?




Those of us who are in the dating game completely understand what it’s like when you meet someone new, and the flirtation and tension builds and builds. Perhaps the most exhausting part of it all is the anticipation that mounts every time you know you’re going to see that person. It’s most difficult for the ladies. We carefully pick out our best ensemble, make sure our hair looks like we just stepped out of the salon, and get our routine mani/pedi/bikini wax. We slip on our “sexies” under our clothes to feel a little more sensual, and we make sure our brows are plucked and our skin is soft.

Maybe this is just me.

We try to make certain that we look like we were at a photo shoot for People’s 50 Most Beautiful issue, or as close to it as humanly possible. We try to ensure that when we do see the person we’re into, that things will go according to plan (or at least in line with your expectations and hopes.) But in the end, it is a gamble. No matter how utterly flawless you may feel when you walk in the door and see them, they may not say or do exactly what you’d like them to. And sometimes? The disappointment from what they do (or don’t do) can make you feel like you put a whole lot of energy into all of this. You walk away feeling a little rejected and like the day was a total waste of makeup.

For the guys out there reading this, the only comparison I can give you that would maybe help you understand what I’m talking about would be blue balls, and cold showers.

Those of us who don’t have balls? We experience this frustration on a pretty routine basis, generally between the ages of 14 and 40. It’s called the world of dating. And it can be a real bitch.

But sometimes we experience this feeling when we get all pumped up over something new and exciting that we hope to experience or purchase, and then it disappoints us, or lets us down in some way. It isn’t what we thought it would be. Or, we aren’t treated quite the way we hoped we’d be treated.

I felt this way this past Friday when I was shopping a little late at Ann Taylor. I had been leafing through Elle and Vogue all afternoon, and saw all the pretty new ad campaigns for Ann Taylor. I saw the silky fabrics and professional looks, and was so excited to walk in and see what I could add to my Fall wardrobe, especially because Ann makes great clothing for professional women.

So what let me down?

The customer service, that’s what.

I’ve been to Scottsdale Ann Taylor so many times and had exceptional service. I’ve bought a few tops and skirts at Fashion Square, and also when I’ve been traveling, and had a good experience. Of course, Ann Taylor can be a little pricey, but they have awesome investment pieces, too, so it’s a trade-off that’s worth it.

At San Tan Village, I was totally ignored, looked at, up and down, but not acknowledged.

I shop like a madwoman. I spend money. I keep the economy going. I love fashion, and when I shop, I am always put together. Pay attention to me, or at least act like I exist. This is the cardinal rule of working in retail; customer service is crucial.

I guess I had hoped for so much more from my shopping experience, and, unfortunately, this store just didn’t deliver. But, just like this game we call dating, I’ll eventually throw myself back out there, and hope for the best, and hope that I’m not let down again.

Because just like shopping, at times, you may have your disappointments. But the euphoria of the experience? That’s what keeps all of us going back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment