Sunday, September 6, 2009

Not So Desperate



When I first started teaching 6 years ago, a girl who was in one of my English classes came in one Monday morning and loudly announced, "Ms. C, I was watching TV last night with my boyfriend, and we both looked at each other and said, wow, she reminds me of Ms. C!"

"Really?" I questioned. "And who was this character?"

"Well, she's on this show called 'Desperate Housewives,' and she's a high maintenance little Mexican woman. She has your same style and look, but the funny thing is that you kind of act like Gabrielle, too."

I spent the next several days contemplating my life choices and behavior, and whether or not I gave people the impression that I was anything like Gabi Solis on Desperate Housewives, cheating on her husband with an inappropriate younger stud muffin who plowed through a little more than her lawn.

Was I high strung? Self-absorbed? Always at the salon? Constantly shopping and worried about my figure?

Okay, well, maybe she wasn't completely off base.

I don't flatter myself to believe I am on par with Eva, especially considering that in real life, she wears a double zero and is built like a 6th grade girl, and I have plenty of junk in my trunk and I wear a size 4 or 6. Which, in Hollywood, is like a 20.

But I do love Eva's style, and most of the time, thanks in part to her stylist, Robert Verdi and her glam squad, including hairdresser Ken Paves, she generally looks striking, no matter where she is photographed.

This look? Casual for day, but the leggings? Oh, how much do I love leggings? They transition from day to night with a few changes in your outfit, and are comfortable and wearable. And right now, they're a fashion must-have.

I know that I can be a little spoiled at times, and I do love to shop and get beautified at the salon more than the average girl. But that's just part of the magic that is LC, and certainly, part of what makes Gabrielle Solis the TV star we all love, even when she says or does things we might hate.

And 'desperate' is the last word you'd ever be able to use to describe either of us.

For the best deals on leggings, check out your local Forever 21, where I found great leggings in various lengths, textures and fabrics this weekend, starting at $4.99. And check out Express, or www.expressfashion.com, where you can get amazing deals on quality leggings, like buy 1, get one half off.

No comments:

Post a Comment