Monday, November 2, 2009

All My Single Ladies



"I've spent $40,000 on shoes and I have no place to live? I will literally be the old woman who lived in her shoes."

"Ring-a-Ding-Ding" is definitely one of my all-time favorite episodes (Season 4) of Sex and the City. In the episode, Carrie finds herself up against a wall, trying to buy her apartment or find another place to live, or she will be evicted by her ex. Because she's not the most financially savvy woman, she finds herself asking her loan officer (played by Sarah Ferguson) for a loan, and when it turns out she has very little assets, she is rejected.

As a woman who also writes, and would like to potentially write professionally, as a full-time career, I know what it is to be anything but Miss Moneybags. Since I'm a teacher by day, fledgling writer by night, I pay my bills in a field that still doesn't bring home much bacon (although, I make do with what I have.) (And still manage to buy an ungodly amount of shoes every month.)

Since my recent hospitalization, where I found myself not only broke, but uninsured, money is no laughing matter. There are not only plenty of women out there who cannot afford homes of their own, they can't afford to pay to see a doctor (which is how I ended up nearly dying.) There are women who not only have lost their job, the only thing they've got right now are the shoes in their feet and dreams in their hearts, and even those are in pretty unstable condition in this recession.

These tough economic times are a time to reflect on what's really important. So while I want to say thank you for supporting and visiting my blog, and listening to me sing the praises of designers and haute couture, while I love that you appreciate hearing all my fashion hits and misses and insights and recommendations, I am also well aware that there are women out there who are not only cutting coupons, they're using food stamps.

Here's to the women who make it happen, even in tough times; who manage to look fab, keep a smile on their face and put their best foot forward; who shine up the shoes on their feet when their stilettos hit the open road in search of a new job or a new life; here's to the women who hold it down for their families when their main squeeze is laid off from work and they've gotta bring home the bacon, make some BLT's, feed a whole household, and clothe their babies, too.

We are Rosie the Riveter, in Payless BOGO heels and drugstore makeup.

Just like my homie Barack says, we will emerge from this a stronger and better nation. And along the way, we're gonna find out how to shop on the cheap, and look like a million bucks on a paltry salary.

Ladies, Chevrolet has nothing on you. You're the heartbeat of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment