Tuesday, November 10, 2009

You Want This


It is rather cliche to even say this, but we all know that sex sells. There's no bones about it. (No pun intended.) Give a consumer the option to buy something boring and predictable, or the chance to buy something new and fresh with a touch of sex appeal in the packaging or the title, and they are all over it like condoms on a frat boy.

Here is a transcript of a text-message convo I had with a friend of mine, who is very, very much a straight man, single, good-looking, mid-twenties:

ME: I hope that you didn't get offended last night by what I said.
HIM: Me? Offended? Do you realize who are you talking to?
ME: I know, but sometimes, people get offended by my vulgarity, and I know my mind is in the gutter sometimes.
HIM: Mine stays there.

I often have to check myself when I'm talking with my guy friends. Having grown up around a lot of boys in my family, at home, I became accustomed to hearing them talk, and having mostly guy friends doesn't help improve my language, humor, or my ability to quit telling dirty jokes. (Something I consider a hobby. Hey, your nerdy ass collects stamps or postcards, I tell dirty jokes. It's all relative.)

One thing you have to realize about hanging with the boys is, you could be talking about the NBA, hell, you could be talking about nuclear physics, and somehow or another, the conversation will always inevitably shift to sex. Men usually find a way to incorporate a sexual innuendo into just about everything they say. Women usually say this is what makes them superior to men. If this is the case, none of those women would ever want to hang out with me.

Regardless of what people believe about sexual innuendo, sexy advertising or appealing to people's sexual appetites, whether through photos or phrases or my jokes, I found this book eye-catching immediately when I saw it featured on Amazon.com. I already know stylist Eric Daman's new book, "You Know You Want It" is going to be on my must-have list. Eric Daman is the same guy who is the costume designer for Gossip Girl (LOVE IT!)and he is so gifted, it's ridiculous. The book includes a forward by Leighton Meester, a.k.a. Blair Waldorf on Gossip Girl. After I read "You Know You Want It," I'm sure I'll rave about it, because I'm a fan of all things fashion, but I believe I will love purchasing it just as much because of the uber-catchy cover. Seriously, how sexy is that title?

I mean, has Eric Daman been following me around to bars, or monitoring my text messages or drunk dial conversations for the past 10 years? Because the title? Sounds like something my crazy ass would say, after, say, 5 or 6 cocktails.

I know I want it (take that as you will) but when it comes to this book, I'll be picking it up at Barnes and Noble.

And if you're one lucky guy...meet me in the stacks at Barnes & Noble.

How hot is that?
You know you want it.

xoxo,
LC

No comments:

Post a Comment