Thursday, November 12, 2009

Cobain & Cardigans


There was always something sultry, sexy, and seductive about Kurt Cobain. Maybe its my love for boys that are a little rough around the edges, guys who look like they don't give a shit, but still have that doe-eyed, sensual look in their eyes; the look that says, "I will sing you to sleep while we listen to music," which is also the same look that says, "I will take you in the closet when my parents are in the next room, and have my way with you."

It is those boys who always race through my head every time I have ever contemplated marriage. Or monogamy, for that matter. Those are the ones who make it hard to say goodbye to being single.

One thing about boys like Kurt are that they do what they want to do. They don't care about who says something's "in" and they're not exactly sitting front and center at New York Fashion Week. Yet, they are still influential in the fashion world. Something about their laissez faire attitude makes us ladies want to jump their bones. Something about their stringy hair and Goodwill clothes makes us want to grab their scruffy faces and kiss them with force.

The cardigan has been a mainstay in the fashion world for generations; it's always a classic piece every woman, from the cutesy little secretaries in pencil skirts to the grunge chicks in ripped jeans, needs to invest in. It's a wardrobe staple for men, too. Kurt Cobain, in all his grunge gorgeousness, no doubt played a part in this during his lifetime.



I have so many cardigans in my closet, that one day, after hanging up another cardigan that I had purchased to match a pretty floral print dress, my brother said, "Lorraine, who are you, Mr. Rogers? You have a different sweater every time you come home!"

I'm fairly certain that Kurt Cobain wasn't asking people "Won't you be my neighbor?" and his whole cardigan trend-setting was SO not intentional, but his influence still echoes in the fashion world today.


Check out my favorite cardigan pick of the season, which may be a little above some price points, but is still cozy, chic, and classic...and cashmere, which is the best part of all. Pair it with your jeans, pair it with leggings and boots, or a lightweight dress, tights, and knee high boots, and you'll be attracting brooding boys like Kurt to your front doorstep with the snap of your fingers. This sweater is at J.Crew, and you can also buy it online, and it's yours for $168. It's Italian cashmere, and just to die. Not to mention, you'll get free shipping if you order online today.

The warm, cozy knits will keep you from getting chilled outdoors, and will carry you through the rainy Spring weather...or, if you're hittin the rainy streets of Seattle, for example.

Kurt...you are still my definition of nirvana...and you still haunt my dreams (though generally, they're pretty racy dreams. Courtney Love would be jealous.)

No comments:

Post a Comment