Friday, November 6, 2009

Now That It's Raining More Than Ever...



Dear Rihanna,

I saw your interview today on 20/20, and yesterday, on Good Morning America, and in both instances, you brought me to tears. I hope I don't sound condescending by saying this (and let's face it, I usually could give a damn if I sound condescending when I'm talking to someone if I have a point to make)but I'm really, really proud of you. I know I'm only 6 years older than you are, but if you were my little sister, I would give you a great big hug, a Kleenex, and tell you how important you are for young women all over the world at this moment in time. And how important you will continue to be, for years to come. Your courage, conviction, and bravery--your willingness to leave a relationship that you were committed to, with a man you loved, in order to potentially save millions upon millions of young women, and women of all ages, is not only something I applaud, but that our society should applaud.

As a woman who's gone through many different experiences dating and in relationships, I can tell you that it is very difficult to speak out about the very personal and hurtful things that sometimes happen when we give our hearts to people. Until I became a teacher to teenage girls, I never imagined I'd ever be able to admit that I, too, had gone through abuse. I thought that this could only happen to women who were weak, and until then, I refused to admit I was weak. Because I wasn't. And I'm not weak now. I'm strong. I was strong enough to walk away from situations that could have potentially been much worse; and I'm strong enough now to share my stories with women. I'm so glad that you were, too.

Not only are you a woman whose style is something people all over the world want to emulate; not only are you a hit recording artist, and a world-class beauty; you are an inspiration to so many women who are shrouded by the pain of violence against women. 1 out of every 4 women will be abused in their lifetime. It's time that more women realized that the only way we can break the cycle, is to educate younger women and teach them from our own experiences.

There's a quote by Maya Angelou that I have in a frame on my wall at work. I have it there, to remind me that my experiences are not only my own. I didn't go through that for myself, or because it was only going to affect MY journey. I loved when you said, "I'm glad that I went through this. Because now I can help younger girls who might be going through the same thing." The quote, one of my favorites, says: "Some of the things I know, I know only because other women have told me their secrets. I have lived, and am living, so that I can share my secrets with younger women. That's the way we women go on improving." Thank you for having the courage to speak out and help so many other women, unselfishly and candidly.

In doing so, you gave every woman in the world who might be in an abusive relationship, a reminder that they aren't alone.

They can stand under our umbrella.

With Love and ALL the BEST Wishes To You,
LC

If you are reading this, and you're experiencing abuse, please know you are not alone, and that there are people who care and want to help you. Call a trusted friend, family member, hell, you can call me for crying out loud. And if you feel alone, here are some websites and phone numbers that might help. You are beautiful, valuable, and you deserve better, ladies. If nobody's told you, and you don't know...now you know, honey.

1-800-799-SAFE (National Domestic Violence Hotline)
www.ndvh.org

www. domesticviolencehelp.org

No comments:

Post a Comment