Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Crown Jewel of a New Generation



My colleagues and I spend a great deal of time wondering why on earth kids today don't seem to have the motivation or enthusiasm of prior generations, unless it pertains to getting tattooed, stealing cheap booze from their grandmother's liquor cabinet, or piercing, I don't know, their labias, or something.

We try our best to promote this idea of being a good citizen, being a well-rounded person, using your strengths to make something productive of your life. Instead, we are often faced with a tidal wave of apathy from our young Americans, sitting in desks (slouching, is more appropriate) with an Ipod secretly tucked in one ear, zoning us out as though we are dishing out useless information. I always thought because I wanted to be an actress, and because I'm so goddamn ADHD, and because I have a sense of humor, that being downright theatrical in front of these kids would captivate their minds and hearts and inspire them to do great things.

It's all bullshit.

There are young people who perform, who rise to the challenge, who raise the bar, who have standards and exceed even their highest expectations, and then there are those who are complacent with the idea of running home and using their allowance to buy ITunes and download the latest emo album so they can feel sorry for themselves.

Praise be to GOD, there are young people who actually inspire ME.

Cassy Saba is truly one of those people. Her family, especially her mother, Sandra, are friends of mine, and if ever you want to see beauty, grace, and class intersect, just look at these two women. Her mother was my instructor at Sincerely, Sandra Modeling and Professional Development school, and when I was just a little girl, my Mother took me there for a "charm school" type class, which inspired me to want to run in pageants, go to college, and be this extraordinary woman, all because I was in Sandra's presence. She is truly inspirational, always has been--and let's face it, you can bet I don't say that to all the girls.

Her daughter Cassy is no exception. Trained by the best, she started her jewelry business as a very young girl, and was beading up gorgeous accessories since I started college ten years ago. Since then, her business has expanded and taken off, and now she is creating gorgeous jewelry that's graced the necks of Beyonce and other celebrities--no small accomplishment for such a young girl. Cassy is not even legally able to buy alcohol, ladies and gentleman, and she's such an outstanding young lady, she's certainly not raiding her grandparents' liquor cabinets for any, either. (I would know. Her grandparents are a-maaa-zing and from my hometown.)

It's funny what a small world it is, because just a week ago, a friend of mine, the lovely and talented Brooke Pace, who's a FIDM alumni and who works for Cynthia Vincent, the extraordinary designer, posted a bulletin announcing to the world that Cassy's Sassy Jewelry would now be available in Fred Segal boutiques. Fred Segal? I thought. Why, when I was in high school, it was put on the map by Cher Horowitz in Clueless. And now, little miss Cassy has her jewelry IN FRED SEGAL?

How to die. That is remarkable.

It just goes to show that when you have a dream, a vision, and drive, anything can happen, at any age, but especially for young designers, no matter how young. People like Cassy (who's already appeared on the Montell Williams show promoting her line) are going to be the leaders and visionaries of tomorrow, especially in the fashion world, and it's my honor to highlight their achievements.

After all, one generation of stylish women have to lift up the next generation, and inspire them to do even better. I have a feeling that Cassy will be inspiring plenty of young people with her business success, and will inspire plenty of fashionistas to run out and buy pieces from her collection.

Go get 'em, girl.

For more information, visit www.cassyssassyjewelry.com, Fred Segal, or Sincerely, Sandra in Chandler, Arizona.

No comments:

Post a Comment