Saturday, October 31, 2009

Evenings of Glamour


Some of my favorite memories from my childhood are the evenings when I would stay home with a sitter (usually my big brother & his girlfriend, who is now his wife) watching movies I probably was too young to be watching (and everyone wonders why I use filthy language) while I waited patiently for my parents to get home from the dances they had gone to.

My Mom belonged to a women's social club, and so there were balls and dances that they'd get dressed up to go to. I would watch my Mom get ready, sitting by her vanity and looking up at the big, long mirror as I watched her apply a darker shade of lipstick than I was used to seeing on her; I watched as she added an extra coat of mascara. She'd slip on high heels, and a pretty dress, threw lipstick, mints, and powder in her clutch, and after giving me a kiss, she was out the door with my Dad.

I remember she'd always tell me one day, I'd grow up and be able to do the same thing. She'd say, "This is the closest I'll ever get to being like a star, but you, you'll be able to experience even more." I dreamed all my childhood that I'd be able to get ready for awards shows and prep for the red carpet, but fast forward 22 years or so (give or take) and my life is far from glamorous; in fact, I think my parents had more fun at my age, and they were parents. As I write this, I am wearing little boyshorts from Victoria's Secret PINK collection, an American Apparel tank top and jeweled sandals (don't ask, I can't even explain my wardrobe choice, except that I can blog from home, praise God.)

One of the things I remember most is trying on the amazing pair of heels my Mom would always buy to go with her dresses. These reminded me so much of a pair my Mom wore once, with a black cocktail dress and pretty earrings and a silver clutch.

I still love the excitement and thrill of being able to get dressed up...but I'll always look back on those memories of being a little girl with skinny legs and tiny little feet, slipping on a pretty pair of heels...with stars in her eyes, of course.

And on most days, (minus the skinny legs and tiny feet) inside...

I'm still that little girl.

Find these heels, and a plethora of other choices, at Nordstrom stores nationwide or online at www.nordstrom.com. These babies will cost ya about $230, but keep in mind...the Half Yearly Sale is on at Nordie's, and I'm sure the selection is the best in town. Check it out for yourself today, and keep those stars in your eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment